General Clay Events Calendar - Arizona
- Tile Mural Workshop with Sam Hodges, 4 Wednesdays in September (September 4, 11, 18 and 25), 4-8pm, Chandler Gilbert Community College. Contact Sam Hodges at 480 703 1787 for details.
- Glazed and Confused Part II with Mike Upp, Reitz Ranch, September 7, 2019,12:00 PM – 5:00 PM, $25 (Members), $40 (Nonmembers). In this four to five hour class, Mike will continue to cover everything from application techniques, how to track results in order to repeat the great ones consistently, even how to modify your glazes – in essence, creating new glazes – with only a small amount of material.
- Spout It Out! with Jason Snelson, Reitz Ranch, September 28, 2019, 12:00 PM 5:00PM $115 (Members) $145 (Nonmembers).Learn multiple techniques in creating spouts that pour well on a variety of objects such as teapots, pitchers and gravy bowls.
- Slab-bulit Covered Boxes with Vince Pitelka, Marjon Ceramics, September 28-29, 2019. 9AM-4PM. This 2 day workshop is for all levels, learn how to make beautiful and functional covered boxes.
- Luster and Mother of Pearl with Arlene Smith, Marjon Ceramics, October 4, 2019. 10AM-4:30PM. Cost $75 plus cost of bisque.
- Southwest Kiln Conference (SWKC), October 4, 5, 6 2019, Globe, Arizona. This is an annual event focused on the art, science and technology of recreating the prehistoric pottery of the American Southwest. The SWKC provides opportunities for people with a range of interests and skill levels, from presentations on archaeological subjects to demonstrations of prehistoric pottery technology, outdoor pottery firings and field trips to dig clay. https://www.swkiln.com/.
- Women’s Woodfire Workshop with Heidi Kreitchet & Rena Hamilton, Reitz Ranch, October 11-13, 2019, unloading November 2, 2019, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, $248 (Members), $310 (Nonmembers). Join your sisters of the flame to fire the Reitz Ranch Train Kiln, while you share and learn from each other with discussions of fire and fun. Participants need to bring up to 6-8cu ft of high-fire, bisqued pots for the kiln firing (Heidi and Rena will work to get every piece in, however, due to every kiln loading being unique, some works may not get into the kiln). Our mantra is “Tall and thin, gets in”, so use this while selecting works. We will then prepare wares for the wood kiln with slip, glaze, and wadding. Women will assist with the kiln loading beginning at 8:00 a.m. on the 11th. Each person will have the opportunity to work a 4-6 hour shift during the firing, and we’ll wrap up the firing on Sunday the 13th. Unloading of the kiln is on November 2 at 10:00 a.m.
- Camelback Studio Tour, November 1, 2, & 3, 2019, 10 am – 5pm Friday and Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm Sunday. Several Arizona Clay members are participating. We'll let you know more in the next newsletter.
- November 2 and 3, 2019 - Shemer Arizona Arts Festival with demos by members
- Raku Workshop with Judi Morgenson & Michael Bolen, Reitz Ranch, November 8-9, 20199:00 AM – 4:00 PM (Friday), 10:00 AM – 4:00PM (Saturday), $115 (Members), $145 (Non-members).
- How to Fire your Kiln with Peter Flynn, Marjon Ceramics, November 15, 2019, 10AM-2PM. Cost $35.
- Hidden in the Hills Studio Tour 2019, November 22, 23, 24 and November 29, 30 & December 1, 10 am to 5 pm. Several AZ Clay members are participating. More information will be posted in the future.
- The Art of Glazing with Mike Upp, Marjon Ceramics, December 7, 2019, 9AM-4PM, $95. In this six-hour workshop Glaze Guru Mike Upp will cover everything from application techniques, testing, and tracking results so you can recreate them consistently. He will discuss how to modify your glazes, in essence, creating new glazes with only a small amount of material.
- Marjon's Open House, Marjon Ceramics, January 24, 2020, 9AM-4PM.
- Marjon's Clay Olympics, Marjon Ceramics, January 25, 2020, 9AM-4PM.
Do you know of a clay-related event you'd like to see listed here? Contact us.