General Clay Events Calendar - Arizona
- Exhibition: Mesa Contemporary Arts Museum's 41st Annual Contemporary Crafts Exhibition. Member ceramic artists Sandra Luehrsen, Sandy Blain and Jane Kelsey Mapel will show work at the Mesa Contemporary Arts Museum's 41st Annual Contemporary Crafts exhibition from February 14 - April 19, 2020. Please join them for the opening reception on February 14, 7-10pm. Mesa Contemporary Arts Museum at the Mesa Arts Center, One East Main St., Mesa, AZ, 85201. For more information: https://mesaartscenter.com/index.php/museum/art/exhibits/41st-annual-contemporary-crafts or 480.644.6502.
- Exhibition: Michael Sherrill Retrospective. Runs Tuesday–Saturday, Feb. 29 through June 27, 2020, ASU Art Museum, https://asuartmuseum.asu.edu/. This retrospective will illustrate the artist’s evolution over his more than 40-year career and highlight his contributions to contemporary art, craft and design. Organized by The Mint Museum in Charlotte, NC. The ASU Art Museum’s presentation is supported the Windgate Contemporary Craft Initiative.
- Ancient Salado Pottery Class at Mesa Grande Ruin with Andy Ward, March 11 – 15, 2020, Mesa Grande Cultural Park, Mesa, AZ. $385. Student limit:12. This intensive five day pottery class will immerse you in the ancient world of the people who lived in Central Arizona in the fourteenth century and the beautiful pottery that they made. Participants in this workshop will explore how these people lived and worked, examining ruins and artifacts, digging and process native clay, minerals and other raw materials and making pottery authentic to the ancient traditions. For more info: Ancient Salado Workshop with Andy Ward AN ADDED NOTE: 3 AZ Clay Members participated in last year's Ancient Salado workshop. All agree, it was FANTASTIC!
- Amazing Glazing! with Larron Lerdall, March 21 – 22, 2020, Sedona Arts Center Ceramics Studio, Sedona, AZ, 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. $250.00 Clay and firings included. For more info: Amazing Glazing! with Larron Lerdall.
- Magda Gluszek: 5 Day Figure Building Workshop, April 13 – 17, 2019, 10:00am – 4:30pm, Reitz Ranch.
- “The Clay Canvas” Workshop with Alissa Mittl. May 24, 2020, Reitz Ranch. Learn how to decorate the two-dimensional clay canvas using sgraffito carving techniques. https://reitzranch.org/workshops/
- Surface Exploration and Development with Jessica Wilson, July 17 – 19, 2020, Sedona Arts Center Ceramics Studio, 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. This workshop will focus on development and exploration of surface treatments such as sgraffito, mishima, shellac resist, paper resist, image transfer, slip trailing, decals, lithography printing on clay and glaze application, $350.00 Clay and firings included. For more info: Surface Exploration Workshop. Jessica Wilson on Instagram: www.instagram.com/jessicawilsonceramics/
- “Press Molds Meet the Wheel” Workshop with Mark Arnold. Reitz Ranch. Learn how to create molds to be used in combination with wheel thrown and handbuilt forms made out of clay. https://reitzranch.org/workshops/
- Shemer Arizona Arts Festival, November 7-8, Shemer Arts Center, 5005 E. Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85018.
Do you know of a clay-related event you'd like to see listed here? Contact us.